The latest news is that I was tentatively scheduled to be induced on Feb 14, which brought be much angst as I didn’t want to have a child — in particular a daughter — to share a birthday on a holiday that I think should be banned. I was worried that if she was single when she was older, she might have issues with that day. However, my favorite OB would be on call and I made amends with it. Then I got bumped from the waitlist and they moved me to Feb 16 (her due date). As I had predicted, they wouldn’t let me go past my due date because of the above average amniotic fluid, which can lead to complications. Most notably, they don’t want my water to break when I’m at home since the umbilical cord could come out with the rush. Much of what I have read indicates that the fluid isn’t a big deal, but being induced helps us plan better especially with a toddler. The downside to this date is that the OB on call is the one OB in the practice that I have never met! My only consolation is that I’m 99% sure that the nurse who helped deliver Peyton will be there and I will get her again. And we all know that the nurses do about 90% of the work. (I saw her at 37 weeks when I was prematurely sent to Labor and Delivery after my stress test, which is in itself a whole other story. But I got her again as my nurse, which was super lovely, and I asked if I could request her for my labor.)
But this being my second, I don’t anticipate a long delivery, which is my other consolation. I’ve been having on/off mild contractions, which have gotten stronger these past two days, and I believe the baby’s getting ready to arrive anyway.
We are dropping off Peyton at school tomorrow and I will probably cry my eyes out. The only time I ever left him was when I went on my girls’ trip last March but I left him in good hands (his dad’s — the only other hands I trust to take care of my children), so wasn’t too worried. But this time, Peyton will be staying with the in-laws and I am just sick with worry. I hope Peyton will be OK. I hope Peyton sleeps well. I hope he doesn’t miss us too much. I told him this morning that his baby sister was coming out tomorrow and I’d have to be in the hospital for a bit, but he could visit. I told him he would have to say with his grandparents for a bit. Peyton hugged me a long time and said he didn’t want to stay with them. Broke my heart. I told him we’d get him as soon as we got home. My only consolation is that if all goes well with the labor, I will only be in the hospital for 2 days.